This file covers Science and Technology related concepts that are repetitive in nature.
You should focus on the relevant topics only when they are in news.
• Intellectual property is a category of property that includes intangible creations of the human intellect.
• In simple terms, it refers to creations of the mind, such as
✓ literary & artistic works
✓ designs & symbols,
✓ names & images used in commerce.
• The main purpose of intellectual property law is to
✓ encourage the creation of a wide variety of intellectual goods &
✓ strike the right balance between the interests of innovators & wider public interest.
• The importance of IPR was first recognized in the
1. Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property (1883) &
2. Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary & Artistic Works(1886).
• Both are administered by World Intellectual Property Organization(WIPO).
• IPRs have been outlined in Article 27 of Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
• WTO governs IPR through Trade Related Aspects of the Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS).
Trade Related Aspects of the Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
• TRIPS is an international agreement on intellectual property rights.
• The Agreement covers most forms of intellectual property including